Saturday, July 31, 2010

Final Thoughts and Thank You

I have officially left Africa and Im blogging from the air somewhere between New York City and San Francisco.

It's hard to believe that my time in Namibia has come to a close.  It is amazing how much I experienced in two short months.  I created a list of the top 15 things I'm going to miss about Namibia, and the top 15 things I'm looking forward to in the good ol' US of A.  Thought I'd share these via my blog with all of you.

Top 15 Things I will miss about Namibia 
(in no particular order)

1. Oshiwambo language and culture
2. Slower pace of life
3. African sky - the sunsets and the stars!
4. Being called "Miss"
5. The sounds of children singing
6. African babies 
7. Greeting and being greeted by all
8. Culture of sharing - "In Africa, we share"
9. Kapana and fat cakes
10. My Namibian colleagues and staff room banter
11. Being a celebrity
12. The warm African sun
13. My evening runs in Okahao
14. Shades of Sin - the awesomely bad soapie on every night at 7 PM
15. Laughing at the many frustrating and hilarious cultural differences


Things I look forward to back in the USA

1. Timely and reliable transport (my own car!)
2. Washing machines and dryers
3. Clean feet
4. Bathrooms with hand soap and toilet paper
5. My bed - with a comforter and no sleeping bag
6. Recycling
7. My family and friends
8. Fast and accessible Internet
9. General cleanliness
10. Not being stared at or called to everywhere I go
11. Rain
12. Going to my church
13. Couches
14. Restaurants
15. Fresh fruits and vegetables 

It is hard to put into words some sort of conclusion to this journey to share with all of you.  I know I will be processing this experience for awhile, and look forward to reflecting back on what I have been through with friends and family over the next few months.  

All I can say now is that I have learned a lot, and given a lot of myself away throughout this experience.  This has been among the highlights of my life so far, and I'm thankful to God and to all of you who helped make this possible through your prayers, thoughts and financial support.

I hope in some way through reading this blog you have been inspired...to give of yourself to others, to share all that we have, and go on adventures of your own.    I truly believe there is no greater experience than giving your time, energy, and love to others with no strings attached.  In the end, the rewards are so much greater than can be imagined.

Thanks for following my journey!  I will be updating Facebook with lots of photos soon...  

And as they say in Oshiwambo, "kala po nawa!"  (Stay well!) 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment